Monday, June 21, 2010

A little rest, a little study, a little shopping...then on to our next destination!

Sunday was a free day. We did laundry; we did sightseeing; we did shopping; we slept! For most of the group, it was also a study day since the first exam of the course was today (Monday). All over the campus, you could spy students studying by themselves or in groups, on their laptops or hunched over pages of notes. Others of the group (like me) are auditing the class and, therefore, were exempt from taking the exams. We read, we walked into downtown Jerusalem to sample the Israeli cuisine, we shopped, we went in search of jazz. Today, I didn't venture off the campus - no walking - and my feet and back loved it! I'm saving my strength for our next adventure: The southern part of Israel - the Hill Country of Judah, the Shephelah, the Philistia Plain, and the Negev.

We leave early tomorrow to visit sites such as Ashkelon (swimming in the Mediterranean - yes!) and Beersheba. We will spend the night in Arad and visit the Wilderness of Zin on Wednesday. On Thursday, we round out our short excursion at the Dead Sea (being very buoyant!), the fortress of Masada and En Gedi (more swimming). We return to Jerusalem and Jerusalem University College (JUC) that afternoon. We received background information for these areas in geology, geography, agriculture, trade routes, and correlations with Biblical events from Dr. Mullins this afternoon. We're good to go, taking along our sunscreen, our hats, and our water bottles because it's HOT down there!

I hope to continue to post blogs while away from JUC, but if I am not able to access a computer for the next three days, I will pick up the journalistic thread on Thursday night or Friday (June 24 or 25).

Shalom,

Bev

4 comments:

  1. Bet that felt mighty good to relax while the crew studied their heads off. Love your updates Bev. Sounds like you are having the time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got a day off, Bwe. Take care of yourself and have fun at Masada and the Dead Sea. They are fascinating places. Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess you didn't get my previous comment about the location of Caiphas' house. Isn't it still considered to be on Mt. Zion, outside the Dung Gate? That's where we did the Passion Play, and I hope you get a chance to go over there and see the church of St. Peter en Gallicantu. Would love to share that site with you, especially the staircase that comes up from the Kidron Valley and that Jesus would have walked on his way to Caiphas' house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first time on your blog! Wow, I am in awe. I love your stories, your pictures and your reflections. I wish I was there, but thanks for letting us share a little of Israel through you. Blessings and prayers.Dennette

    ReplyDelete